Monday 11 November 2013

Urbanex: The Revenge

A very short post this time, purely as a follow-up to my earlier blog about urban exploration (or Urbanex) and its influence on my horror writing. I've been thinking a lot about 'abandoned places' and their unsettling nature just lately, partly because November 5th was the anniversary of the day that the Mary Celeste set sail for its ill-fated final voyage, which was a tale beloved of Arthur Conan Doyle, amongst others. I think the image of the hastily abandoned vessel (which sadly may have been a bit made up for dramatic license) strikes a chord with us all; the evidence left behind of everyday human existence (and, perhaps, suffering) is more unnerving than a mere empty house or dilapidated shipwreck.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is merely to share a link. The other day I was tweeted an article by my agent about the works of Dan Marbaix, and his photographs (and commitment to the cause) are truly inspiring. Check it out here. All I can (rather parsimoniously) say is, I'm rather happy that so many great photographers risk incarceration for this art form, so I don't have to!

1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.